Early Years Foundation Stage
In the EYFS (nursery and reception classes) the children quickly acquire knowledge as a result of a well planned curriculum. The Early Years Foundation Stage framework is followed. The children learn through play in a range of indoor and outdoor provision activities. For example they learn about:
- themselves within the topics ‘You Choose’
- healthy eating within the topics ‘You Choose and Down on the Farm'
- the local area within the topics 'We're Going on a Bear Hunt'.
- the climate/seasons within the topic ‘Brrr, it's freezing!'
- animals and growing in the topics 'Down on the Farm' and 'I spy a Mini Beast.'
- different celebrations and cultures in the topics 'Chinese New Year' and 'It's time to celebrate'.
- transition into reception in the topic 'All aboard'.
Each topic is based on a high quality text and used as a 'Book for a Hook'. Emphasis is placed on speaking and listening within all aspects of the curriculum to enable the children to develop communication skills. For example, in nurserystaff ensure that key worker time focuses on speaking and listening and key vocabulary through stories, songs etc. Speaking and listening are also developed through discrete programmes such as:
- LEAP (Language Enrichment Activity Programme)
- VIP (Vocabulary Improvement Programme)
- Differentiated Early Talker Activities
- Stories for Talking
Click on the link to see the long term plan for nursery.