In reception, the Early Years Foundation Stage framework is followed.
The phonics scheme used is Read Write Inc.
We use a range of decodable reading schemes e.g. Read, Write Inc, Dandelion Readers and Oxford Reading Tree.
In the EYFS (nursery and reception classes) the children quickly acquire knowledge as a result of a well planned curriculum.
For example they learn about:
- themselves within the topic 'What makes me super?'
- healthy eating within the topic 'How can I be a happy, healthy me?'
- the local area within the topic 'Who lives in my garden?'
- the climate/seasons within the topic ‘How do I know it's winter in Brightside.'
- animals and sea life in 'What can you see under the sea?'
- global issues within Green Week and Community Week
- celebrations within the topic 'What do children at Brightside School celebrate?'
Each topic is based on a high quality quality text which serves as a ‘Book for a Hook’. This forms the basis of whole class reading texts, writing genres and provides links to the topic currently being taught. Emphasis is placed on speaking and listening within all aspects of the curriculum to enable the children to develop communication skills. Speaking and listening skills are also developed through discrete programmes such as:
- LEAP (Language Enrichment Activity Programme)
- VIP (Vocabulary Improvement Programme)
- Stories For Talk
Click on the link to view the yearly plan for Reception.