Key Stage 1
Key Stage 1 (year 1 and year 2) follow the National Curriculum.
The phonics scheme used is Read Write Inc.
We use a range of decodable reading schemes e.g. Read, Write Inc, Dandelion Readers and Oxford Reading Tree that have been ordered and matched appropriately to each RWInc set.
Pupils quickly acquire discrete and generic skills because the curriculum is driven by age related differentiated key skills which are the focus of planning, teaching and learning and assessment.The skills are taught within the contexts of different topics which enable the pupils to acquire new knowledge. Examples are: 'Why can’t a Meercat live in the North Pole?’ and 'How does your garden grow?'. The curriculum is enhanced through a variety of half termly trips such as The Fire Museum, The Butterfly House, visit to Edale and topical days/weeks such as 'Rosh Hashanah Day' and Science Week.' Each topic is based on a high quality quality text which serves as a ‘Book for a Hook’. This forms the basis of whole class reading texts, writing genres and provides links to the topic currently being taught.
Pupils also use and apply skills at every opportunity as a result of cross curricular planning. For example pupils:
- research topics using a range of texts and the internet in all subjects
- use ICT to create pieces of art, solve data handling problems and word process text
- write using their knowledge of different genres in different subjects: instructions in D&T; an information text about Brightside etc.
- appreciate how famous people helped our lives become better today across a range of subjects e.g. Florence Nightingale, Samuel Pepys.
- learn about art and music from different cultures
The curriculum has been adapted for 2021/22 to ensure that missed content due to COVID-19 is planned for and taught. This will ensure that children make rapid progress and develop age related knowledge, concepts and skills by the end of the year. There will also be an emphasis on Healthy Minds and PSHE to ensure that children settled back into the school environment and are ready to learn.
Click on the link to view the yearly plan for Year 1 For a further breakdown of the key knowledge and skills taught, please see the individual subject pages.