Key Stage 1
Key Stage 1 (year 1 and year 2) follow the National Curriculum.
The phonics scheme used is Read Write Inc.
We use a range of decodable reading schemes e.g. Read, Write Inc, Dandelion Readers and Oxford Reading Tree.
Pupils quickly acquire discrete and generic skills because the curriculum is driven by age related differentiated key skills which are the focus of planning, teaching and learning and assessment.The skills are taught within the contexts of different topics which enable the pupils to acquire new knowledge. Examples are: ‘Why is there a Disney Shop in Meadowhall?’, Why can’t a Meercat live in the North Pole?’ The curriculum is enhanced through a variety of half termly trips such as The Fire Museum, The Butterfly House, The Showroom cinema and topical days/weeks such as 'Rosh Hashanah Day' and Science Week.' Each topic is based on a high quality quality text which serves as a ‘Book for a Hook’. This forms the basis of whole class reading texts, writing genres and provides links to the topic currently being taught.
Pupils also use and apply skills at every opportunity as a result of cross curricular planning. For example pupils:
- research topics using a range of texts and the internet in all subjects
- use ICT to create pieces of art, solve data handling problems and word process text
- write using their knowledge of different genres in different subjects: instructions in D&T; an information text about Brightside etc.
- appreciate how famous people helped our lives become better today across a range of subjects e.g. Walt Disney, Samuel Pepys.
- learn about art and music from different cultures
Click on the link to view the yearly plan for Year 1.