Key Stage 1
Key Stage 1 (year 1 and year 2) follow the National Curriculum.
The phonics scheme used is Read Write Inc.
We use a range of decodable reading schemes e.g. Read, Write Inc, Project X, Dandelion Readers and Oxford Reading Tree.
Pupils quickly acquire discrete and generic skills because the curriculum is driven by age related differentiated key skills which are the focus of planning, teaching and learning and assessment.The skills are taught within the contexts of different topics which enable the pupils to acquire new knowledge. Examples are: ‘Why can’t a lion live in Brightside?’, ‘What’s the Story of your Life?’, ‘How did Queen Victoria change life in Brightside?’. The curriculum is enhanced with half termly trips to places such as The Victorian Classroom, Cleethorpes and The Yorkshire Wildlife Park. Pupils also learn about different subjects and events through topical days and weeks e.g. Science Week, Eid Day, Take One Picture Week.
Pupils also use and apply skills at every opportunity as a result of cross curricular planning. For example pupils:
- research themes using books and the internet in all subjects
- use ICT to create pieces of art, animations, emails etc.
- write using their knowledge of different genres in different subjects: instructions in D&T; an advert about Greentop Circus.
- create and interpret a database on favourite foods, the weather
- work out the cost on an enterprise project they have made
Swimming lessons are taught to all pupils in year 2.
Click on the link to view the yearly plan for Year 2.