The government has allocated an additional amount of funding to schools to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport in order to promote the pupils’ health and well being.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and sport that they offer.
This means that schools should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport activities that the school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
The Sport Premium allocated to Brightside NI School for 2022-2023 is £17,210.
The Sport Premium report and information below explains how the funding was in spent in EYFS and KS1 in 2019/20, 2020/21, 2021/22 and 2022-23
At Brightside we value the importance of PE and sports in our curriculum. We offer:
- two PE sessions per week (KS1) and one PE session per week (reception)
- the Daily Mile on our outdoor track (KS1)
- 2x daily Activate/Go Noodle/Yoga/Super Movers in the classroom
- coaches from Arches organise optional outdoor/playground games at lunchtimes 3x per week (KS1 and reception)
- daily football at lunchtime
- at least one sports based afterschool club per half term e.g. cheerleading, yoga, multi-sports
- a cycling before school club in the summer term
- attendance at termly Archers Sports Partnership School's events such as gymnastics, hopscotch, cross country, kick rounders at various sporting grounds in Sheffield
- trips to try different sports in the locality e.g. ice skating at Ice Sheffield, circus skills at Greentop Circus, sports skills at the English Institute of Sport
- swimming in the summer term of year 2
- a range of new PE equipment for children to explore and use e.g. circus skills equipment such as diablos, stilts, juggling balls.
- regular PE training for all staff to update professional development skills e.g. orienteering, cheerleading, dodge ball
At Brightside NI School, we offer pupils in year 2 up to three taster sessions of swimming per year before they move into KS2. These are at local swimming pools and are usually in the summer term of year 2.
In 2022/23, the year 2 children had three taster sessions at Zest Swimming Baths. These were to develop water confidence and to help children to understand how to be safe in the water.