In reception, the Early Years Foundation Stage framework is followed.
The phonics scheme and book band scheme used is Read Write Inc.
In the EYFS (nursery and reception classes) the children quickly acquire knowledge as a result of a well planned curriculum.
For example they learn about:
- themselves within the topic 'What makes me super?'
- healthy eating within the topic 'How can I be a happy and healthy me?'
- the local area within the topic 'Who lives in the garden?'
- the climate/seasons within the topic ‘How do I know it's winter in Brightside.'
- animals and sea life in 'What can you see under the water?'
- global issues within Green Week and Community Week
- celebrations within the topic 'What do children at Brightside School celebrate?'
Each topic is based on a high quality quality text which serves as a ‘Book for a Hook’. This forms the basis of whole class reading texts, writing genres and provides links to the topic currently being taught. Emphasis is placed on speaking and listening within all aspects of the curriculum to enable the children to develop communication skills. Speaking and listening skills are also developed through discrete programmes such as:
- LEAP (Language Enrichment Activity Programme)
- VIP (Vocabulary Improvement Programme)
- Stories For Talk
Click on the link to view the yearly plan for Reception.
An example of a day in reception is:
9.20-teacher focus tasks and continuous provision indoors and outdoors
10.10-mental and oral maths
10.30-teacher focus tasks and continuous provision indoors and outdoors
1.30-2.30-interventions/catch up and continuous provision indoors and outdoors
2.30- speaking and listening/grammar focus
PE, music and woodland schools is timetabled for 1x per week
Milk and fruit are provided on a free flow basis throughout the day.