Playtime and Lunchtime information
Lunchtime is from 12.00-1.00 every day in reception, year 1 and year 2.
Children have the option of choosing a free school lunch or bringing a packed lunch from home.
The free school lunches are cooked on site at Brightside NI School and pupils can choose from five options daily. There are two hot lunches (one vegetarian option), a jacket potato with various fillings and two sandwich options. Your child will choose from the menu daily at register time in the morning.
Please inform the school if your child has any dietary requirements or allergies.
We are a nut free school. No nuts or nut products are allowed in school.
Packed Lunch information
We believe eating well is important for children’s health and development.
A healthy, enjoyable lunch gives children the energy they need to learn, play and do well at school.
Please support the school’s Healthy Lunch Box Policy by following these guidelines.
School milk and fruit
All children are provided with a piece of fruit for their morning snack. School milk is available at playtime/snack time and is free until children are 5 years old. When children are 5 years old, school milk can be purchased half termly by paying at the school office. We encourage children to bring water bottles to school to use in the classrooms.
There is a large playground at Brightside NI School for the reception, year 1 and year 2 pupils to use at playtime and lunchtime. It has a range of play equipment for the pupils.
Reception and nursery children also have their own outdoor areas that are attached to their classrooms.
At Brightside we have been developing different play zones to enable children to play constructively in areas without inhibiting others.
Our playground currently has:
- A quiet zone – a place where children can read, draw and write.
- A games zone – Lunchtime Supervisors lead a number of traditional games each day such as skipping, circus skills, throwing and catching, hopscotch and circle games.
- A school garden zone – a zone where children can support with gardening, make dens and explore
- A team games zone – 3 separate areas to play football, basketball etc. Archers Sports Coaches support the children 3 days per week, Mr Needham teaches football daily
- An imaginative zone – this is an area where children can use material and other equipment to develop their imaginative play.
At playtime children are able to choose to enjoy their own free play or join in with the lunchtime supervisors and sports coaches.